Monday, July 16, 2012

Halfway Done! Or Another Half to go.....


Today I wanted to share more about myself and paint you a picture of the girl behind the words.

I am a 22 year old intern that is working in a rural town of Ellensburg, Washington. If you don’t know where that is, think of the state of Washington, and go smack in the center. It’s a quite town, generally speaking. There’s a university, so that comes with the normal parties (we were the college that made 4loko change its formula). But in the summer time, that dies down to a dull roar of the college students that stay behind trying to find something to do. See, Ellensburg does not have a whole lot to do. There’s a lake. There are churches. PLEANTY of churches (I swear there’s one on every other block). There are a few bars, but I don’t personally find any of them fun. No malls. No amusement parks. No fun. Basically, the fun gets sucked out of you while you’re here. There is good hiking, though.

Anyways.

I am an intern to complete my BS in Public Health. I will also be getting my BA in Anthropology at the end of the summer. Why the heck am I in a food bank? I wanted to get more experience with working with food, low-income people, and working in a non-profit environment. What have a I learned so far? That I really don’t want to work in a food bank ever again. Don’t get me wrong, I love the people, I just feel like this is a drowning place. Ever day is an uphill battle to help those who need it.

It has helped me focus in on what I really love. And that is food. I have learned how to cook for more than 50 people at a time with ease. I have learned different dietary needs. I have learned how to communicate better.

This week is mid-way through my internship. I have completed a few projects and need ideas for some new ones. Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment