Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Non-food Food

At the food bank we're always in need of donations, food and non-food items. You've all heard/read me talk about all of the food items, so today I'd like to talk a bit about the non-food items.

We at the food bank LOVE to see things that aren't food. By that, I don't mean Cheetos. I mean soap, aluminum foil, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.

People usually think of the food bank as a place to get the food humans need to survive. But what about the rest of the time? People require toilet paper, too.

That is the basic statement that will drive this blog. People need toilet paper, too.

I understand that people don't have a toilet paper tree in their backyard they can pick and have extra to give out. I understand that TP is expensive. But in my opinion, even more of a reason to help out.

I got a call a few days ago from a single mother that could not afford toilet paper for the next few days until she got her pay check. She did not want to steal it. She did not want to over draw her account for it. She just wanted a few rolls of toilet paper to get her and her children through the week.

Same thing with stuff like dog and cat food. Animals have to eat too. We do not give out huge sacks of it. Only enough to get through  a few days. But I personally could not fathom dealing with the pain of not feeding an animal because I needed something (like my electricity paid) first.

Other non-food donations could include:
- wax paper
- shampoo /  conditioner
- unopened allergy medication
- Britta filters
- paper towels/napkins
- cash (we use this in any way you designate or as we see fit)
- boxes, plastic bags and egg carton (used in food distribution to give out food)
- TIME! Sign up to volunteer!
- diapers (baby and adult)
- feminine products
- food storage containers

And of course:
- Toilet paper.




Thank you all and remember to take time to think about the community as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment